Most users of the Google search engine conduct their searches from Google's basic search interface. Many of these users type in random keywords which is not the most effective way to approach a Google search. To get the most out of Google we recommend that you use Google's advanced search interface. What follows are suggestions for using Google's advanced search interface to find business information:
Relevant Keywords and Phrases:
Typing in random keywords is not the best method for using Google. Before you even conduct a search you should follow theses steps:
- Carefully read your assignment and understand what it is you are looking for.
- If you are unsure of your information needs, consult with your teacher.
- Brainstorm relevant keywords and phrases.
Example: I need to find career information in the animal field.
Possible Keywords: pets, animals, industry, careers, education, jobs, etc.
Possible Phrases: "animal careers", "animals jobs education", etc.
Using Google's Phrase Search:
- Navigate to advanced search
- Type your phrase in the appropriate box
- Click search